A Last Post on Secretary's Day?

Subject: A Last Post on Secretary's Day?
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 10:55:17 -0700

We tech writers, on more than one occasion, maybe don't always get the
recognition that we sometimes think we deserve, especially after we've
pulled a few 14-hour days in a row to get a project out. Like it or
not, that's often an occupational hazard we all have to live with. As a
result, anytime someone wants to do something nice for me, I'm more than
willing to receive such a blessing as a gift from the universe. I'm
certainly more than happy to paraphrase a line out of a Steve Miller
song and sing "Go on, take the praise and run..." Remember, getting
praised for doing a good job almost never happens anymore in the
American workplace.

Additionally, the recession wasn't that long ago and can very easily
come back at any time, as the Pacific Rim countries are finding out the
*hard* way...

Remember, it's better to get paid for your work than it is to stand in
the unemployment line. =) It's also more profitable. =)
================
Jill Burgchardt wrote:

>Actually, there's an important issue here that isn't about egos. If
others
>perceive your job as something other than what it is (secretary,
longshoreman,
>whatever), their attitude usually includes an expectation that you'll
do that
>job IN ADDITION TO your real job. That's a very real problem.

>Since sending my post about encountering the "secretary" situation 12
years ago,
>I've received several offline notes from people who are facing problems
with job
>perceptions/expectations. Honestly, I wouldn't care a bit about title
if the
>pay were good and I had time to do my REAL job--you know, the one my
job
>evaluation is based on.

>Knowing now, what I didn't know then, here's my advice. Arm yourself
with a
>good project plan. Use it and make sure managers see what you need to
do and
>what impacts your doing it. This approach avoids all the controversy
and helps
>you focus on your job, not someone else's.
=========

George Mena
Technical Writing Consultant
George -dot- Mena -at- esstech -dot- com
ESS Technology, Inc.
48401 Fremont Blvd.
Fremont, CA 94538
510-492-1763