Re: STC Conference Panelist needed

Subject: Re: STC Conference Panelist needed
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 08:55:50 +0100

Knowledge vs Information.

A definitation I came across at the ISTC conference last year was that
"Knowledge is About People, Information is About Systems"

The session on Knowledge Management basically dealt with the conflict
between people and technology and how companies deal with them. The basic
premise was, rightly I feel, that having a lot of information is of no use
whatsoever unless you know what to do with it. This is where the people
come in - basically stating that they are the most important asset in any
organisation. The aim is to get as much information as possible available
to as many people as possible.

Knowledge Management has been defined as ?the ability to utilise the
available knowledge resources effectively, and in a timely manner, for
company benefit or advantage?.

Information is WHAT you have, KNOWledge is knowing what to do with it.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International