Converting WP 5.1 Documents - Summary (Long)

Subject: Converting WP 5.1 Documents - Summary (Long)
From: "Tahmaseb, Charity (C) (STP)" <charity -dot- tahmaseb -at- GUIDANT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 08:21:39 -0500

There seems to be enough interest in this to post a summary to the list.
I want to thank everyone who responded offering help and assistance.
I'd especially like to thank George Mena for his numerous replies and
sense of humor. :-)

Summary of Problem: I was having a problem converting a large,
graphic-ridden Word Perfect Document into Word 97. We have many old WP
5.1 documents and I was wondering if it would be worth our while to
purchase a copy of WP 8 to help us convert these documents.

What I found out: I did a search on dejanews as well. I was leery
about going with WP 8, since many people posted problems converting
their WP 5.1 to WP 8.

A product called Conversions Plus was mentioned as the way to go. I
bought a copy and it works very well, much better than opening WP 5.1
documents directly into Word. There's still some clean up, but the
document looks like it's suppose to, no unusual font substitution, etc.
It's only $70 at the local CompUSA, converts word
processing/spreadsheet/graphic files between PCs and Macs. The web site
is: http://www.dataviz.com.

We never did convert the document in question. It has a corrupted
graphic, and while I could turn it into a Word doc using Conversions
Plus, the document crashed when I tried to open it.

Below are suggestions/solutions that I received.

From Kate Kane:
Get Corel 8 so you can get out the graphics. You should be able to
select and save the graphics individually as a WordPerfect graphic,
which you can then use as is in your Word doc, or you can convert it
into some other format. Then, export the text as a text file and pull it
into a Word template. We've have _very_ mixed results (mostly
unsuccessful) at just opening WP docs in Word.