International money designations

Subject: International money designations
From: Marci Abels <mabels -at- CSIKS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:23:27 -0500

I've looked in the archives, and in my reference books, and haven't
found what I want. So, I'm asking you, how do you designate currency?
Would you say

US$ 1
US $1 or
US 1

I have a preference, but was asked to show some source or authority for
my suggestion.

So, how would you write this? (It's for a marketing piece our
department is putting together - a project description of sorts, if that
makes any difference)

O BTW, I'm on digest, so please reply to me at this address and I'll
summarize if anyone is interested.

TIA

Marci Abels mabels -at- csiks -dot- com
CSI