Interchangeable Adjectives?

Subject: Interchangeable Adjectives?
From: Lucille Lattanzi <lucille -dot- lattanzi -at- PERI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:08:30 -0400

Howdy. List members -
Here' s a good one for a Friday.

Discussion of usage  as part of our writing group's documentation  guidelines revealed differences of opinion:
One side claims that modern usage for "less" and "fewer" is to consider them interchangeable in most cases.
Same for "farther" and "further".

The other side strongly disagrees. We are all Boomers between 42 and 55 so our schooling couldn't have been too different in matters of usage.  Our references are recent and tend to differentiate the meanings of these words as  well. I appeal to the list for opinions on modern usage.

I have searched the archives and found 2 entries on less/fewer.  I'd welcome your opinions on both pairs of words. Please reply to me off-list at   lucille -dot- lattanzi -at- peri -dot- com

I'll summarize the responses for the list next week.

TIA for your help ....

Lucille Lattanzi
Periphonics Corporation
Bohemia, NY, USA