Re: What does "scalable" mean?

Subject: Re: What does "scalable" mean?
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:12:58 -0700

My Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary (C) 1997 defines scalable as: "Of or
relating to the characteristic of a piece of hardware or software that makes
it possible for it to expand to meet future needs. For example, a scalable
network allows the network administrator to add many additional nodes
without the need to redesign the basic system."

Another buzz word that I haven't been able to define very well is
"extensible". I've heard and seen it applied to software languages,
applications, networks and even hardware. If anyone out there can give me a
good definition, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

- Rowena

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer
Intrinsyc Software, Inc.