HELP!

Subject: HELP!
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:52:50 -0400

Here's my situation:

I have to write a draft (Beta) users guide in three weeks.

We use Word 97. (I'm new--three months old). Our application is VERY graphic and so the users guides contain lots of screen scrapes. I have written two guides so far in Word 97, and it's been a nightmare. The graphics don't stay locked in place. If you insert too much text before the image, Word 97 throws off the graphics willy-nilly, sometimes as far as two pages away. I don't remember having this problem with 6.0.

I have Pagemaker and Framemaker. Problem is: I don't know these software packages. Does anyone have any comments regarding this situation. (I am an experienced Quark Xpress and Publisher user.)

I need a program that provides graphic stability like a desktop publisher, but the flow of Word. The worst part is I need to be able to learn the software quickly! No text boxes--I don't want to be moving those babies around!

Comments regarding the Word 97 graphic issue? Anyone else out there experienced this? Should I use 6.0 instead?

Is Pagemaker or Framemaker my answer? Are they easy enough to learn to be able to produce a 50-75 page document loaded with graphics in three weeks? (Being able to use the book feature of Pagemaker isn't necessary--our guide is single-sided, GBC bound, one-color, printed from the HP laserjet--not a high-end piece.)

Thanks in advance for your help.