Tech-Writers: The Age of the Profession

Subject: Tech-Writers: The Age of the Profession
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:56:26 -0400

Elna Tymes

>Minor correction - it's not as new as you think.

I'm aware of the history of the profession, but I expressed myself
poorly. What I should have said was that tech-writing has not been
widely recognized as a profession until the last decade or so.

It's rather like fantasy as a publishing genre. Modern fantasy has been
written for over a century, but it wasn't until the late 70s that it was
marketed separately.

In the same way, people have been doing tech-writing for several
decades, but it's only been in the last couple of years that you had
much chance of anyone knowing what you did. Even now, you often have to
explain.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Vancouver, BC, Canada

"Be sure that whatever you're making is well-made. If it's well-made, it
has a chance of being visited by grace. And if it's visited by grace,
it has a chance of speaking for a very long time."
- Bill Reid