Re[2]: Reduce page count WAS Re: secretary's day

Subject: Re[2]: Reduce page count WAS Re: secretary's day
From: Steve Struck <stephens -at- ALR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:55:34 -0800

David Somers wrote:

<snip>

In my specific case, it was purely political. When my quality and level
of output was compared with that of the permies doing similar work, the
difference was very noticeable... and contractors can't show up the
permies!

<snip>

It's probably my imagination, but do I detect a bit of scorn and derision when
Mr. Somers talks of "permies?" Perhaps I'm being oversensitive (yes, I'm sure
that's it). I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that being a
contractor was a choice, motivated by high pay and flexibility. Heck, I'm even
considering trading my cloistered and privileged "permie" status for the hard,
cruel world of the contract for just those reasons. If there's a flaw in my
reasoning, please enlighten me.

But seriously folks...I've worked with some great contract people and I've
worked with several losers. The same is true for permanent employees. At no time
was there any "political" consideration or thought that we couldn't let the
"contract" show up the "permies." We expect the contract people to be top drawer
since we pay them top dollar. The bottom line is getting the best product out
the door to our customers. The good news for Mr. Somers is the fact that he gets
to leave at the end of his contract.

I am interested in getting input from contractors who care to share their
experiences and/or feelings about that type of employment. As previously stated,
I'm considering starting contract work in the future and I want to go into it
with my eyes open, knowing what to expect. If you work contract or freelance, I
would appreciate your input. Please reply off-list. TIA

Steve Struck
Sr. Tech Writer
Irvine, CA