Note vs. Footnote

Subject: Note vs. Footnote
From: Lucille Lattanzi <lucille -dot- lattanzi -at- PERI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:34:18 -0400

Hi, List Members!

This is another request for opinions. Our writing group is in the throes of developing documentation guidelines to be used by an entire department ( developers and tech writers alike). This question arose today.

When is it appropriate to insert a Note into manual text? When is a footnote appropriate? Research reveals no comparison of the two.  We'd like to clarify their use.

Please reply off-list ( I am a digest subscriber). lucille -dot- lattanzi -at- peri -dot- com
I'll summarize the responses for the list early next week.

TIA
Lucille Lattanzi
Periphonics Corporation
Bohemia, New York, USA