UK Info Design Journal: New Issue

Subject: UK Info Design Journal: New Issue
From: Karen Schriver <ks0e+ -at- ANDREW -dot- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:25:12 -0400

Hi there,

In case you haven't seen it yet, just out is a new issue of the
Information Design Journal. Here are the details from the editor Paul
Stiff.

karen schriver
KSA, Document Design and Research

=============================
* Information design journal * (publication announcement)

message by: Paul Stiff (Editor and Professor of Typography at the
University of Reading)

`Information design journal' volume 9, number 1,
has just been published.

In its 84 pages:

ARTICLES:
* David Sless -- Building the bridge across the years
and disciplines

* Replies to David Sless from Karen Schriver, Patricia Wright,
Robert Horn, Conrad Taylor, and Michael Turton;
and a rejoinder from David Sless

* Susan King Roth -- Disenfranchised by design: voting systems
and the election process

* Martin Cutts -- 'Unspeakable Acts' revisited

* Michael Macdonald-Ross -- Books and libraries:
the threat from 'New information and communication
technologies'

* Christopher Burke -- From functionalism to information design:
Jan Tschichold's 'The new typography'

* Ian Mumford -- I am here - where are you?
(How to get lost in map design)

REVIEWS:
- Thomas Merz: 'PostScript & Acrobat/PDF',
reviewed by Rick le Vert
- Robert L. Harris: 'Information graphics: a comprehensive
illustrated reference', reviewed by Carolyn Vose
and Alan Davis
- Henry G. Burger: 'The Wordtree', reviewed by Robert Horn
and Rebecca Salome Shaw
- David Sless and Rob Wiseman (eds): 'Readings towards
science communication', reviewed by Robert Horn
- Colin Wheildon: 'Type & layout: how typography and design
can get your message across - or get in the way',
reviewed by Ole Lund
- Elaine Kempson & Nick Moore, 'Designing public documents:
a review of relevant research', reviewed by Linda Reynolds
- Karen A. Schriver, 'Dynamics in document design',
reviewed by Robert Waller

SUBSCRIPTIONS:
*Information design journal* costs 22 pounds sterling
(44 US dollars) for a volume of 3 issues.

The institutional rate (libraries, corporations, businesses,
etc.) is 48.50 pounds sterling (100 US dollars).

The subscription includes surface mail; air-mail costs
an extra 10 pounds (20 dollars).

You can pay by cheque in pounds sterling or US dollars.
We prefer payment in pounds sterling.
To pay by credit card (in pounds sterling only), send
the following information to our subscriptions address:

- type of card (we accept Visa/Access/Eurocard/Mastercard)
- card number
- cardholder name & address
- card expiry date
- IDJ delivery address (if different from cardholder address)
- and please sign & date your request.

We can send a subscription form to you if you wish,
but you don't have to use one. You can just write
to the address below saying that you want to
subscribe to IDJ:

IDJ subscriptions
PO box 2230
Reading