Re: An Elegant Draw Program?

Subject: Re: An Elegant Draw Program?
From: Len Humbird <lenh -at- PCEZ -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 21:10:42 -0700

At 01:03 PM 4/29/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Elegance -- clarity, simplicity, and aesthetics -- is important
>for me when choosing a product. I want it to have what Don Norman
>calls "good affordances."
>
>With that in mind, I'm asking anyone with some Windows experience
>what you consider the most elegant Win95 graphics program.

In over 12 years in the tech writing biz, there have been a couple packages
I've used *happily*, and they were both on the Mac. One was Canvas, the
other was MacDraw II. As with Roz, my needs were simple. I needed a good
solid drawing program that had some powerful features, but wasn't
necessarily designed for graphic artists.

Today you have FreeHand, Illustrator, and all the others. They're popular,
have outstanding market share, serve all the important graphics
professions... and in my opinion are bloated.

It's like being a body builder who uses just these free weights, but now is
forced to buy this home gym. It's got something like free weights that
adjusts to all these wonderful positions, but because they're all attached,
they only go so far. And the whole thing is so damn big that will only fit
if you add another room in your house for it.

Len
--
Len Humbird | Technology writer | lenh -at- pcez -dot- com | Portland OR USA
Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately it kills all its students.