Re: Lurker wants opinions...

Subject: Re: Lurker wants opinions...
From: Michael Blair <mjblair -at- TOTAL -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:50:49 -0400

John Prince at prince1 -at- WEBTV -dot- NET, on 4/29/98 11:07 PM you wrote:

>I'll make it short and sweet:
>
>"This page intentionally left blank" yes or no?
>
>In other words, do you guys use the above verbage or do you simply leave
>the page(s) blank.
>
>I used to do the latter ... but for some reason I'm liking the former
>better.

John:

I think it depends on context and -- dare I say it -- audience. Train
timetables use it on blank left facing (even) pages. Likley inherited
from the military, it is used to reassure users that parts of the
schedule have not been left out due to production errors. In some
instances it is unnecessary, as it is obvious the preceding schedule ends
on an odd page and the next begins on the following odd page. However, if
you use it on one blank page you've got to use it an all. This results in
all the leftover blank pages at the back of the schedule being so
labelled.

But a quick look through my library of software manuals, reference books,
history books and novels reveals that none of them use it. I guess it's a
judgement call.

Personally, I don't like it. I'd prefer to use some kind of obvious
chapter or section terminator, but I don't always have the discretion to
mess with the format or layout.

Michael Blair
Blair Technical Communications Tel: (514) 989-8713
106 - 3500 Atwater Avenue Fax: (514) 989-7521
Montreal, Quebec CANADA H3H 1Y5 Email: mjblair -at- total -dot- net