Re: Contract salary calculation question

Subject: Re: Contract salary calculation question
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:33:48 GMT

The 2000 working hours a year is also the rule of thumb I use.

Is this a contract job or full-time employment? If it's contract, also
allow for non-billable time: the extra tax reporting required,
marketing, downtime, and so on. I spend about 10 hours a week in
non-billables (I do all work off-site, so I have time spent
maintaining equipment, too).

Good luck,

Barb

>> Does anyone know a formula for figuring out net and gross income? Say, for
>> instance, if you are offered a job at $20/hr, how would you calculate yearly
>> gross and net income from that?
>
>First off, deal with the problem of what $20/hr. translates into an
>annual income. Most contractors use a rule of thumb that says that a
>year's work translates into about 2000 hours a year, so your $20/hr.
>translates into $40,000/yr.

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH