Web Development Tools

Subject: Web Development Tools
From: Kelly Cochrane <kelco -at- MYNA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:10:52 -0400

I will begin with my standard disclaimer: I am not an authority, so put appropriate limitations of authority on the following information. I have not been exposed to "commercial" site building resources, so I have no basis on which to offer a comparison between them and the program I have used. However, considering my one positive experience, the awards this program has received, and the affordability (it is basically free), others might want to check it out.

I want to offer a bit of history so that readers do not automatically dismiss this program just because it is not "commercially produced." When I bought my computer, I received a CD-ROM called TuCows. It was full of information about computer resources, and links to further resources on the WWW. One of the resources it provided was a review of different site development tools while ranking each of them one to five "cows." An application called Arachnophilia received five cows from TuCows, and was awarded top shareware program from several major computer magazines. Being the frugal sort, I downloaded it.

As it turns out, this program was written by a man named Paul Lutus who, according to the biography on his webpage, wrote the original Apple Writer and the Apple Writer II. If his life resembles the bio. on his page, this is one highly interesting, brilliant man. I tend to believe the information: he provides pictures :). The financial rewards he received for Apple Writer enable him to buy a sailboat, and do a solo sail around the world; I assume it was this experience that provided him with his Zen-like outlook. He now gives away his program under the license of "Careware." According to this license you can freely use his program as long as you take time each day to be thankful for what you have. You can read the full license on his site.

What I do know is that when I was building a site for my design class, my classmates were struggling with the "commercial products," whereas I had no problem building my site; Arachnophilia is very intuitive. What