Re: Employment Status

Subject: Re: Employment Status
From: "Hillary M. Russak" <hrussak -at- SLAC -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 15:35:29 -0700

At 06:17 PM 5/5/98 -0400, Fabien Vais wrote:
>It seems to me that there are two things to consider here:
>1. Your company no longer wants to hire you as a full-time employee, and
>would like to deal with you on a contract basis. Aside from any specific
>terms, I would find out if your company is legally ALLOWED to "unilaterally"
>put an end to your full-time contract without any "valid" reason.

My understanding of US employment law is that employment is on an "at will"
basis for both employee and employer. IOW, either can decide to terminate
the working relationship at any time. If there is reason to believe
discrimination is involved when an employer terminates an employee, there
might be a legal matter to examine, but they don't have to have any "valid"
reason to terminate an employee.
-hil
Hillary M. Russak
Technical Writer
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
(650) 926-3193
Pager (650)849-9483
hrussak -at- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu