Re: this page could have been blank

Subject: Re: this page could have been blank
From: Iain Harrison <iharriso -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 11:25:41 GMT

> I am surprised no one has suggested that we note "no
> information missing" on half pages left blank at the
> end of a chapter.

That cannot possibly be true, however comprehensive your
documentation.

I don't think the issue is about half pages left blank, but only full
pages left blank.

The replies seem to have been:

1. Just use headers and footers to indicate that the page is properly
printed

2. Include some text on blank pages indicating that nothing is missing

3. Pretend they're 'notes' pages

4. Leave them completely blank (winword's default, which I dislike)

5. add a printer's cliché

Personally, I prefer option 1. I can't follow the argument that the
reader needs any more dumbing down. Where can it end? What's so
special about pages? How about giving the same treatment to lines?
This line is left intentionally blank
My opinion is that it can also make a maintenance overhead that seems
entirely unnecessary. If you have to keep putting the text in and out
manually, it could be a big hassle. If it is automatic, things can go
wrong!
This line is left intentionally blank
Just an afterthought about the OK / okay issue: If you are describing
what the user sees on screen, there is no argument: you write what is
there. Otherwise, OK is a very vague word, and is probably best
avoided.
This line is left intentionally blank
OK?
This line is left intentionally blank