Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers
From: John Gilger <JohnG -at- MIKOHN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 07:43:40 -0700

I believe that the problem can be summarized in two words: Political
Correctness. Some schools place more emphasis on socializing the
students than teaching them.

Graduates of "hard" schools like Colorado School of Mines tend to have
their thinking skills more highly developed than graduates from
University of Colorado in Boulder. (Before all you Buffs get in a huff,
this is a general example. My son chose Mines after we investigated
both and I went to neither.)

PC is so pervasive in the classic liberal arts arena that it is hard to
find a program that emphasizes critical thought. Perhaps St. John's in
Maryland still does, but Berkeley, Columbia Harvard, Yale and the rest
of that group have completely sold out to PC.

John Gilger