Non-technical, Technical Writers

Subject: Non-technical, Technical Writers
From: "Anderson, Ben" <BAnderson -at- GFBANK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:14:47 -0500

Speaking from a non-technical perspective I am utterly DISGUSTED with
several of the posts concerning non-technical, technical writers. It is
readily apparent that several people feel that if you do not work in a
"high-tech" firm you are "sub-standard" or "wannabees." I find this
completely and utterly RIDICULOUS.

Let me tell you-all of another story of a non-high-tech firm that hired
a writer to document several internal processes. This writer, with
years of experience in the high-tech industry, spends his/her entire
eight-month contract trying to convince his/her supervisor that "what
this company really needs is a new software system, and more server
space, and some special codes etc..." instead of actually documenting
the processes. While this writer was extremely technically proficient,
he/she missed the point of what a GOOD writer should be, A WRITER.

I agree that it helps a writer to have some background of what he/she is
planning on writing, but several of you seem to think that a second
degree and 10 years experience is the standard. Silly me, I thought a
GOOD writer was someone that was a team player, could adapt to any given
situation, and had excellent communication skills.

As far as companies not finding "qualified" writers--Gee, someone fibbed
on his/her resume, color me shocked!! And maybe, just maybe, some of
the responsibility of filling writing positions falls upon the
employer/agency doing a sufficient check on said candidates...

Sorry for this little rant, but I'm feeling much better now. And now if
you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my non-technical, technical
writing duties.

Benjamin J. Anderson
Guaranty Federal Bank-Documentation
1300 South Mopac