"Engineer"

Subject: "Engineer"
From: John Gilger <JohnG -at- MIKOHN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 11:21:50 -0700

Let's try a new topic.

One of my minor pet peeves is that, in today's society, "engineer" seems
to mean "programmer." Does any one have any thoughts as to why that is?

I have done the vast majority of my technical writing in organizations
where the SMEs were Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, or Civil
Engineers. These guys considered programmers to be demented
clerk-typists.

Before the fires and flame get started, let me disavow any agreement
with that opinion. I'm just reporting. "Just the facts Ma'am."

John Gilger