Re: An editing on-screen alternative

Subject: Re: An editing on-screen alternative
From: Michael Blair <mjblair -at- TOTAL -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 20:25:59 -0400

On 5/6/98 4:37 PM Montview at montview -at- MCI2000 -dot- COM, aka Laura Michaels,
wrote:

>Does anyone know of a program that would make viewing heavily edited files
>easier while still enabling you to better see revisions as well as original
>material?....Here is the original request, which goes into a little more
detail.
>______________________________________
>I am looking for a proofing/markup software that has the ease of use of a
>red pencil and yet maintains the original document structure so that you can
>see what is being commented on....Turning revision marking on/off in
>Word and Frame doesn't do this.

>It seems like I saw something that worked like an transparent
>overlay over the original document in it's application such as Word or
>anything else....

I'd also be interested in something similar for the Macintosh.
WordPerfect 3.5.x lets you create a transparent overlay on which you can
draw, but it was pretty primitive. Besides, the program itself is junk.
Word's revision tracking is better, but if you're like me you don't
always do your edits in a logical order, which completely discombobulates
(forget it) the revision tracker.

However, I have a feeling Laura's friend is dreaming in 64 bit colour.
Maybe it can be done, but can you imagine the headaches getting it to
work with Word, WordPerfect, FrameMaker and PageMaker, to name just a few
document preparation programs.

Maybe PDF files, in something like, yeah, Acrobat Editor...

Hmmm. Any programmers out there looking for a challenge?

Michael Blair
Blair Technical Communications Tel: (514) 989-8713
106 - 3500 Atwater Avenue Fax: (514) 989-7521
Montreal, Quebec CANADA H3H 1Y5 Email: mjblair -at- total -dot- net