Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 14:57:54 -0700

The confusion comes in knowing which one to use when (a writer
responsibility), not in reading. I think most adult U.S. readers have
some idea of what i.e. and e.g. mean in context. They may not know if
the *correct* one was used, but it doesn't affect their comprehension.
Just like the average reader probably wouldn't know the difference
between and en dash and an em dash, but they still comprehend the
meaning in context even if the incorrect one is used.

Beverly Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil = http://www.hqisec.army.mil/cis/
Visit the Friendly Faces of TECHWR-L:
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/