Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 11:29:25 -0400

Bill Swallow wrote:

I not only write, but I also design the document, envision the
online interface, design the interface, build it, create all the
graphics, perform the usability testing, and monitor the
installation
of the product. Before all that, there's the initial needs
analysis,
audience analysis, and other planning steps.

AND develop documentation plans and sell them to management, AND create
or otherwise obtain illustrations and graphics, AND interview and hire
contractors and other TWs when needed, AND decide on bindings, print
shops, etc., AND work with manufacturing to develop a process for
getting the printed manuals or CDs in the box with the product, etc.

BTW, when I was negotiating with my current employer, they asked me what
my title was (at my then current position). I told them "Sr. Technical
Writer, but a better term is Information Designer, since I do far more
than write." It didn't sink in, and I am a Sr. Technical Writer here too
(actually the only Tech Writer at the moment!), even though, as I
pointed out above, I do a heck of lot more than just write!

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Sr. Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
Norcross GA (USA)