Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:19:02 +0200

Mark,

as always, it all depends on the product.

There are cases, where you have a high-performance product with lots of
possibilities for the user. One of the important parts of documentation is
that it must be complete. So, you have to describe those possibilities in a
Reference Manual, as it is needed with programming languages. The content
is rather formalized (remember the UNIX man pages?). In such a case you
must not leave anything away. And if it ends up as a 1203 page manual, it
will end up as a 1203 page manual.

Or look at the documentation of a power generation plant. In such cases, a
complete documentation set is shipped on a Euro-palette.

On the other hand, a bloated 1203 page manual may be easier and cheaper to
write than a 160 page highly condensed manual. Some time ago, I had to make
the user manual for a very simple measuring instrument which was very
sophisticated in its way, but had very little interaction with the user. I
ended up with one legal size sheet of paper. On one side, there was a short
introduction, a description of the parts of the instrument, maintenance and
contact information. On the other side, I had an elaborated graphical
representation of the user actions.

And the result ... well, writing a 32 page manual would have been cheaper
for the client.

So, my point is that less can cost much more.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap