Re: Tech Writers who don't like technology

Subject: Re: Tech Writers who don't like technology
From: Rene Gedaly <rgedaly -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:13:01 -0500

As I wipe the orange juice from my screen, let me say Beth, I don't think
you take strong exception to my statement. In fact, I think you agree with
me, although l do admit I wrote my posting to get maximum reaction! My
objection is to writers who are disinterested in the subject matter of their
work, and then pursue employment in that field. I did not say all tech
writers were that way (though I implied it to get a reaction--mea culpa).
You make the same point. With the interest and ability to learn, we need not
be technical at the same level as our SMEs. I once worked with a very good
writer who explained that she did not have to understand what she was
writing about, she could still "break the code" and write good manuals. You
know, she was right--almost! In flawless, fluid writing, she de-coded a lot
about nothing.

My personal prejudice is that in tech writing, even for technical audiences,
we serve our audiences better when we are good generalists, good
communicators, who "go deep" only as required. Some of us, for some jobs,
will spend more time at those deeper levels than others. And, I'll bet you'd
agree that the term technical writer implies something different to the
engineering department than it does to the marketing. I object to writers
who don't write as if audience matters.

I'm not usually so concerned about consensus. I just get the sense that now
that the information age has hit my 81 year-old grandmother, tech writers
need to move from being a "racket," that is, you can be a tech writer just
by saying you are, to an established, certified profession.