Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie

Subject: Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie
From: Karen Kay <karen -at- WORDWRITE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:45:01 -0700

Lisa Comeau said:
> In my recent interview for the job I hold now (it's my 1-month anniversary
> here today!) they asked alot of good probing questions like:
>
> "What was your best subject in University?"

This is a good, probing question???

> The number one question I have asked and been asked is
>
> "What do you know about our company/organization? How did you find
> out this info?" (Fortunately, I check out a company BEFORE I even think
> about applying there...)
>
> This is a great question for people in a technical field, because the more
> they tell you, the more interested they are in the company, and it gives
> you (as an interviewer) and idea of the candidate's research skills.

I don't know about you, but I research companies quite differently
than I do research about the products I'm documenting. For companies,
I use the web primarily, and people secondarily. (Particularly when
I'm interviewing outside my current field, as happens a lot.) My
research skills when it comes to work are quite different. I use
anything written that I can find, but mostly I depend on people.

> If a potential employee doesn't do any research on the company, how
> can they possibly know if the job/organization is right for them,
> and that they are right for the position?

This time around, I'm interviewing managers, not companies. It's
working well for me.

Karen
karen -at- wordwrite -dot- com