FW: Tech Writers who don't like technology

Subject: FW: Tech Writers who don't like technology
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 08:57:36 -0400

I have to agree with Beth Agnew.

I find it strange to find such venomous comments about tech writers on a tech writer list server. And Rene's is hardly the exception. Each day I read several, if not dozens of posts that slam tech writers. I often wonder if these people are tech writers themselves. What gives?

As far as tech writers not being interested in science, I think tech writers are just people, and there are lots and lots of people not interested in science (which is sad). Is an interest in science crucial to tech writing? I think it depends on the job: I worked in an environment once where all the writers were allowed to do was to regurgitate the programmer specifications. I have enough faith in the capitalist system to believe that writers who aren't writing good documents will be fleshed out: Readers will demand what they need. And it's the readers for whom we're writing these documents.

This is not to justify a lack of interest in science. Heck, I'm always amazed at writers I meet that have no interest in literature, who think Tom Clancy and John Grisham are high culture! (Oops, my claws are showing!) If I had my way, everyone would be interested in technology, science, history, literature and the arts.

So for now I say "cream rises to the top," and those who show initiative in their personal education follow suit.