Re: Student's Questions

Subject: Re: Student's Questions
From: DURL <durl -at- BUFFNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:48:51 -0400

I suggest you get in touch with the Medical Writers group...since
you've chosen to specialize in that, they should be a big
help...Association of Medical Writers and Editors, something like that.
Depending on the course material offered, your AS is probably more
relevant than most 4-yr degrees. The problem is that 4-yr degrees are a
winnowing tool, so much so that employers are uncomfortable in just a
vague, free-floating anxious way, when they're faced with someone without
it.
Specifically, I'd work *very* hard on getting real-world
experience via internship. Consider companies who manufacture medical
equipment...contact them yourself, if you have to, to try to arrange an
internship. Take whatever you can get with an eye toward building your
portfolio...
Once you land that first job, try to pursue a four-year degree.
Here in NYS, we have something called "Empire State College" which enables
you to work with a mentor from the college and design your curriculum,
studying at your pace (few formal classes) and getting credit for work
experience..
Your school should have some info about anything similar. Good
luck!!
Mary

Mary Durlak Erie Documentation Inc.
East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo)