Re: An editor's duties (was: Online Document Reviews)

Subject: Re: An editor's duties (was: Online Document Reviews)
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:17:54 -0700

> Janice Gelb:
>
> You wrote: < As an editor, I have been hesitant to do online reviews (...) I
> don't know which changes the writer will approve and which he or she won't
> (...) >
>
> Excuse me for splitting hairs, but isn't it an editor's job to make changes
> regardless of the author's approval? Once the manuscript is dead, the editor
> takes over. The "Chicago Manual of Style" isn't the Gospel, but it does have
> some wortwhile indications on this phase of the editorial process. Am I missing
> something obvious?

"I'm not dead, I'm getting better" (sorry, couldn't resist)

You appear to be assuming a book process where a writer turns in a
manuscript to a publishing house and then the editor takes over.

We are talking about an iterative process of writing technical
manuals, in which drafts are submitted to an editor a couple of
times (if you're lucky) for review. A first draft might have
sections that are missing and no illustrations. As the manual
writing progresses, review comments are incorporated and missing
information is filled in.

There are occasions when technical issues or product requirements
mean that an edit cannot be made. There are also (*very* few :-> )
occasions when an editor might misunderstand what the writer had
in mind, and other occasions when stubborn writers insist on
the original wording even if the editor thinks it is unclear.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

an