Re: Period at end of items in bulleted list

Subject: Re: Period at end of items in bulleted list
From: K R Wolfe <keith -at- MERGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 16:49:21 -0500

>Are there periods at the end of a list of bulleted items?<

I don't know what the industry standard is, but I am in the middle of
creating a documentation style guide for my company. These questions
concerning bullets have come up a number of times.

My colleague believes on not using periods on bulleted items unless the
item is more than one sentence long. I can see his point, but still
believe that it should be one or the other. We all know how important
consistancy is, but is there an industry standard?

>Are these items capitalized?<

I believe if items in a bulleted list complete a sentence, per your
example, it's good to avoid the caps.

>Are there commas involved if these items are *part of* a sentence?<

Personally, I am inclined to leave out commas. I think they destroy the
schema of most readers when they see a bulleted list.

Just my 2 cents worth. I am interested in any opinions on my comments as well.

kw