Re: macro virus...help!

Subject: Re: macro virus...help!
From: Tracey Moore <traceym -at- APPLIEDMAPPING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 15:59:55 -0400

I just fought this battle two weeks ago.

The very first thing to is to obtain the latest anti-virus software. If you don't have software, go out on the web and download Norton Anti-Virus (I also used McAfee, but Norton found viruses McAfee didn't, so I suggest Norton). Load and run the software. It should clean up your doc and create a virus-infected file you can delete.

If you have anti-virus software already, go out on the web and download the latest software add-on. That will update your software to detect the latest and greatest viruses. Run a virus scan with the new info.

There are several interim workaround solutions Microsoft suggests, but I don't suggest using them. I highly suggest cleaning up the system because it is likely that many other docs are infected and will only reinfect the system.

If you install Norton, it will notify you when you try to open an infected doc. Also, it is wise to turn on the Macro Virus Protection option in Word. Go to Tools, click Options, click the General tab, and select the option.

Good luck! These things are a real nuisance.