Job market in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul)

Subject: Job market in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul)
From: Laurel Nelson <Laurel_Y_Nelson -at- NOTES -dot- SEAGATE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 15:54:57 -0500

FYI: Today, I talked to someone from one of the local contract houses. She
said that technical communicators are scarce here and many employers are
hiring permanent rather than contract. Once they find someone they want to
keep them. I just thought this might be of interest to those of you in this
area and maybe especially to the new grads who are looking for a job.

I know some of you don't think much about working permanent. I'm a
contractor myself, but I was turned down for short-term disability
insurance because of tendonitis in my elbow, and I have a child who is too
young to stay home alone when ill. The insurance issue and the lack of sick
pay has me thinking about going permanent.

Laurel Nelson