Re: Summary: #$ -at- %#^&$# secretary stuff...

Subject: Re: Summary: #$ -at- %#^&$# secretary stuff...
From: "Robert E. Garland" <robert -at- JTAN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 21:23:02 -0400

<snip>
> OK, gang, this is a great example of how things get off track. I'm not
> going to respond to Roger, but I am going to point out just why the wage
> issue and making copies is related to technical writing.
<snip>
> if done on a routine basis, it also undermines the professional's
> credibility - if one were to see Andy Grove routinely taking minutes and
> making copies for everyone at a meeting, one would wonder about Intel's
> priorities.

One way of of some traps like these is to suggest a more cost-effective
alternative.

At one previous job, the entire publications department took time to
collate Tech Tips and Sales Tips on a regular basis. This took a few
hours and tied up the entire department. As a social recreation, it
wasn't bad. But it did have a negative impact on our schedules. I
suggested that a couple of high school students could do this part time
after school, or that a sheltered workshop might offer a good rate to do
it for us. The company did some research, and finally got a sheltered
workshop to do the job. The workshop took our printed copy, collated,
stuffed, labeled, stamped and mailed our goodies at less cost than we
could. They also provided employment for some less fortunate folks. In
all it was a win-win situation.

--
Robert Garland