Re: New Term for Tech Writers?

Subject: Re: New Term for Tech Writers?
From: "Phillips, Warren D (Warren)** CTR **" <phillipsw -at- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 18:41:42 -0400

Hello All --

I posted the job for Information Developer.

Since November 97 I have been working as a contract consultant at Lucent
Technologies. I am one of those Information Developers. The title was
intended to reflect the dual role of developing both training and
documentation for a product, across multiple media. We have contract
and direct employees on the team using that title.

I created my last job at Gulfstream Aerospace. The first week on that
job I ordered business cards. I asked my boss what title I should use
and he said anything I wanted. My card read "Training Analyst - GV
Training Design Build Team"....which I chose after checking with several
customers who did not know what an Instructional Technologist did. (and
yes I checked, "President" was not acceptable)

At a recent meeting the term "Customer Enabler" was suggested as a title
for the dual role (Ugh!). But then maybe I could ask for a pay raise
due to the additional responsibility of the job.

I checked the Lucent computer in the sky that lists everyone (worldwide)
at Lucent. My job title was listed as NON-EMPLOYEE.

As long as the pay check comes, and as long as the job is fun....what's
in a name anyway.

Warren Phillips
Information Developer
Lucent Technologies, Inc.