Personal Stuff on Resumes

Subject: Personal Stuff on Resumes
From: Cheryle Wiese <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 13:30:03 PDT

Janice Gelb wrote:

> Judging from the messages on this issue, I guess I'm the only person
> who thinks these don't belong on a resume and could easily backfire.

Then Tracy B. wrote:

No, you're not. I agree in general, with the exceptions being outside
interests that only an ogre would count against you (teaching adults to
read, for example) or interests that are related to the job you're
applying for.

I say:

There's a fine line between personal information and "too much
information."

I've always heard that it's wise to omit personal information from
resumes, unless it is somehow relevant to the position you're seeking.
In the past, I also expanded this include activities I was involved with
in college, figuring that the prospective employer
might see me as a real multi-tasker! (wow - she worked full-time, went
to college at night, AND was on the dance team ...) However, I
did not include my passion for Thai food, my fondness for progressive
rock, and certainly not my height, weight, and marital status! (yes I
have seen this lately!)

So I was very surprised at Lisa's report that some companies throw
away resumes simply because they do not list outside interests. Anybody
else?

I'm postive I wouldn't want to work for any of these people. I wouldn't
want to work for any of the trick interview question people either!