Re: Technical Writer Education

Subject: Re: Technical Writer Education
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 17:25:25 -0400

I'd recommend the "biggies": Word, of course, for word processing. If
you want to give them a taste of a real page layout application try
PageMaker or FrameMaker. PageMaker is great for small projects like
flyers, brochures, bulletins, newsletters, etc., while FrameMaker is
geared toward large complex technical manuals.

For graphics work (drawing), try Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator, or
Visio. For image editing, Adobe Photo Shop and Corel Photo Paint are the
best known, but a more affordable alternative is Paint Shop Pro. It's a
nice little app that will give your students a chance to develop some
basic image editing skills. (Actually, Corel Photo Paint comes bundled
with Corel Draw, so it's probably your best bet for an all around
graphics application.)

Hope this gives you some ideas. I'm sure others on the list will have
other suggestions.

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Sr. Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.