Re: FW: correction--job opening

Subject: Re: FW: correction--job opening
From: Woolfbob <Woolfbob -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 06:46:04 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/98 13:16:55 CDT, posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM writes:

<<
I'm not sure if I should take the position or not though. I haven't had
a chance to interview with this other company yet for a co-op position
and I am also waiting to hear from about a full-time permanent position
that I interviewed for earlier this week. I'm also nervous about leaving
the job I have now...because its full-time permanent and has great
benefits, but I'm not learning what I want to learn here.

The company that wants to hire me now doesn't offer benefits to its
co-op
employees and I'm not surewhat the pay rate will be yet. The money is
crucial
for me because I donot have parents or other relatives to fall back on.
There also is no
guarantee if this position will turn into full-time permanent employment.

On the other hand, from the conversations I had with the people who work
there now, it sounds like I will gain some wonderful and badly needed
experience. >>
You give some good reasons either way. However, remember the old "bird in the
hand" adage. Job market these days is NOT good in many areas and while you
may not think you need to worry about the benefits so much now, you never know
about tomorrow -- just like me up until the big heart attack two years ago!

The new co-op offer sounds kind of iffy. Make them nail it down. Loss of
benefits equates to a reduction of pay of about $6000 to $10,000 per year
depending on the package offered. If that is your objection, tell them to
provide the benefits in someway or go walk.

You are in a hold tight position now. Don't jump on the first thing that pops
up. Wait. The last time I checked America's Job Bank Online, I got over 650
hits for writer positions around the country. If you have the skills and the
documentation to back it up, you can pick and choose. The federal government
(USAJOB-OPM) web site, listed around 20 tech writer/editor positions around
the nation just yesterday. And federal civil service has GREAT benefits! The
codes for writers are series 1082 and 1083. I'll but hyperlinks to some of
the search sites below.

Bob (Guess that was more like my $.10 worth -- inflation!) Woolf

<A HREF="http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/a6.htm";>USOPM - SERIES</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ajb.dni.us/cgi-bin/websrch.cgi?f_mode=f_kw";>America's Job
Bank: Keyword Search</A>

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/woolfbob/index.html";>Bob & Sonja Woolf's Home