Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 14 May 1998 to 15 May 1998

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 14 May 1998 to 15 May 1998
From: Roger Smith <roger -dot- smith3 -at- VIRGIN -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 08:42:49 +0100

> Diane Williams <Diane_Williams -at- FCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV> wrote

> Sarah (sarahc -at- indigo -dot- ie) said: "...this client is keen on > "restricted vocabulary" or Controlled English..."

> What is "controlled English"? Is that the same as "Plain English"? > > There are several web sites regarding plain English. I'm working on a > Master's thesis on plain English and how far federal legislation has > gotten into it over the past 20 years.

What you are refering to is "Simplifed English" which is used by
Aerospace companies so that words have a specific meaning, and when
translated into another language the original meaning is not lost in the
translation. Many aerospace contracts specfically require that only
words contained in the "Simplified English" dictionary can be used. If
the word is not in the dictionary, then it is not allowed.

Roger Smith
roger -dot- smith3 -at- virgin -dot- net