Re: Interviews/Resumes - Outside Interests

Subject: Re: Interviews/Resumes - Outside Interests
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 15:26:36 -0400

Erika Steffer said:

> Active participation in professional associations, if nothing else,
> indicates that one has a professional network -- very handy resource for
> the organization, not just oneself.

In my experience, employers are only impressed if they have heard of the
professional organization or if the organization has some actual
influence over the profession, such as the bar or medical associations.

For example, before I decided that the STC was not worth my time, I had
my involvement featured prominently on my resume. The only interest it
generated was when an interviewer asked what the intials stood for - and
even then the interest was casual and brief.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Vancouver, BC, Canada

"Yours is the open road,