Re: viewing postscript (.prn) files

Subject: Re: viewing postscript (.prn) files
From: johnmc -at- OPENNT -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 03:01:34 GMT

In article <01bd836b$80dc4320$8c0fd0cf -at- hmchou>,
"hm chou" <hchou -at- interaccess -dot- com> wrote:

> is there a way to view postscript files in Windows/Macs? i remember a while
> ago an application called GhostView (or similarly named), but i could never
> get it to work on my wintel machine. any suggestions?

It's a tough one to set up, all right, but when you get it going, it's
probably the best thing going.

The only alternative I can think of is, if you have the Adobe distiller
(not free software), you can convert the postscript output to PDF format
and view with Adobe's free viewer. Not a great solution, I admit. (Is
there a free distiller anywhere?)

Whatever you use, make sure you check the postscript file first. You want
the first line to begin with %!PS-Adobe-3.0 (or 2.0 or 1.0) and you
want the last line to be %%EOF.

With some printer drivers (notably HP Laserjets with Postscript), there
may be binary commands on the first three lines and the last two lines,
intended to tell the printer it's time to do the PostScript thing.

John