Re: Is grammar important.

Subject: Re: Is grammar important.
From: Mark Dando <danmcc -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:14:22 +1100

At 01:24 PM 5/21/98 -0500, M. David Orr wrote:
>As one who sees many user manuals and online help facilities in user tests,
>I think it's one of the least important elements of usability. Graphical
>mental models, organization, audience-targeting of mini-manuals, job task
>analysis, appropriate screen graphics, and good indexing are much more
>important. However, bad grammar can be distracting to some people, can cause
>misunderstanding, and create credibility issues. It's like wearing a power
>suit to a job interview, it doesn't really help doing a good interview, but
>it doesn't distract the interviewer either.

But what do you mean by grammar? I understood your message because you
constructed your sentences (grammatical construction) in a way that I could
understand, not because of any "graphical mental models, organization,
audience-targeting of mini-manuals, job task analysis, appropriate screen
graphics, and good indexing".

If you use language, grammar is of vital importance.

I'm currently helping to develop process writing skills in a large IT&T
organisation. Grammar is a key topic in the Effective Writing module, but I
focus on syntax not split infinitives.

Mark Dando
danmcc -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au