NT/Help problems

Subject: NT/Help problems
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:40:22 +0100

I'm baffled. I'm sure the answer is simple (I hope) but I can't see it at
all, nor can development. I'll re-iterate the situation so that,
hopefully, there is no confusion.

The product is the administration software (16 bit) for an access control
system. Help is translated into several languages and the help file is
called global.hlp. The other languages are called global.fre, global.ger
etc. When installed the software checks the language and then access the
relevant help file.

I work on Win95 and the help has been tested both standalone and in
conjunction with the software and it works fine. The problem seems to be
only with NT which is giving the error "Not a valid Help File". I have
tried several compile options - compile V3.1 with 16 bit and generic DLLs,
and V4 with 16 bit DLLs. My initial thought was that the file being
accessed by the program was different from the one I had just compiled but
I've been told this isn't the case. The software looks in a specific file
in the instal folder.

OK, so it doesn't run the file from the application but, if you go to
Explorer and run it from there then it's fine - you get the message that
it's using 16 bit DLLs and will use 3.1 engine but that's what I'd expect.

Any ideas anyone??!!!

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International