Re: Conventions pages (WAS: Pros and Cons....)

Subject: Re: Conventions pages (WAS: Pros and Cons....)
From: "Diane Brennan (Write Stuff)" <a-dianeb -at- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 16:37:41 -0700

A few months back, at my last company, I received a forwarded e-mail from a
high level manager, which was a very vitriolic complaint from a customer
that one of our documents (out of eight or so) didn't have a conventions
page. The document was a change record (a list of new information to add to
the other documents) which went to existing customers, and it was the only
document that didn't have a list of conventions, but the customer was in a
foreign country, and conventions that we are accustomed to were not
self-evident to him, and it prevented him from completing a difficult task.
I should probably mention that the software was very complex and
non-intuitive, so that users were very dependent on the documentation to
help them through.

I want to add that a sweeping statement about conventions doesn't take into
account that there are different levels of documentation. A highly
technical document, such as a programming guide, may rely heavily on
conventions to differentiate between functions, parameters, flags,
structures, methods, etc.