Re: Re[2]: Conventions, Intros, Overviews, Help, etc.

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Conventions, Intros, Overviews, Help, etc.
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- METROMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 09:48:33 -0500

Beth said...

Note that I didn't say not to put the info in the manual; I said it's
best to have the info right where the users need it, beside the stuff
that needs "translating."

If you do that, there will be fewer calls to tech support than there
would be if the info were stuffed into a conventions section
elsewhere.

These generalizations are based on actual usability tests.
Beth
bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com

So, how would you handle explaining that "select File>Exit" means to select
the file command, then select the Exit command from the File command
drop-down list? Would you just spell it out at each individual step in the
instructions (thereby making the steps seem long and unruly)? Or just
explain the convention once somewhere? And if you choose the latter option,
where would you do that?
--B
barb -dot- ostapina -at- metromail -dot- com
...speaking only for myself.