Re: Is framing theft?

Subject: Re: Is framing theft?
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 15:43:46 -0400

Sella Rush wrote -

While I was a little
concerned a year or so ago when it looked like people were going
to try to
limit link rights ( ludicrous idea), I think this goes way
beyond that.

Along these lines, I maintain a web site for a non-profit equestrian
organization. Several months ago, I added a link to a commercial site
that posts horse show results from major shows (qualifiers for World
Equestrian Games, etc., ) faster than any other site around. One of our
board members went absolutely bonkers because the site was also selling
photos of top horses and riders (actually their major business - the
show results were just a nice "add-on"). Apparently this particular
board member felt that the link suggested a "business relationship"
between our organization and the commercial enterprise and that our
non-profit status would be jeopardized if IRS found out about the link.
In fact, she asserted that IRS would construe the link to mean that we
(our non-profit organization) was actually selling the photos via *our*
web site!

At the time, I thought our board member was just being more than a
little paranoid, but internet law is such a new frontier that I wonder
if this is the way things are headed. Any thoughts on this?

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Sr. Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
Norcross GA (USA)
mailto:cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com