Re: Is framing theft?

Subject: Re: Is framing theft?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:53:13 -0500

I think she's being paranoid -- I wouldn't worry about the IRS assuming
you're making money off it. What I worry about (as a state agency) is
being seen as endorsing a particular product. I link to commercial sites
anyway (but only if they have useful free content, as in your case) and
use a disclaimer (which has satisfied the lawyer so far).

Tracy

> Several months ago, I added a link to a commercial site
> that posts horse show results from major shows (qualifiers for World
> Equestrian Games, etc., ) faster than any other site around. One of our
> board members went absolutely bonkers because the site was also selling
> photos of top horses and riders (actually their major business - the
> show results were just a nice "add-on"). Apparently this particular
> board member felt that the link suggested a "business relationship"
> between our organization and the commercial enterprise and that our
> non-profit status would be jeopardized if IRS found out about the link.
> In fact, she asserted that IRS would construe the link to mean that we
> (our non-profit organization) was actually selling the photos via *our*
> web site!

Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm