Re: PDF File Problems

Subject: Re: PDF File Problems
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:46:49 -0400

Roger,

Thanks for including the font encoding information in your post, because
that's where the answer to your question is.

A PDF file is basically a simple map that puts a glyph at an X-Y
coordinate. When the system on which you display the file does not have
the font installed--and when the creator of the PDF file has not
embedded a font, the display system uses the special Multiple Master
fonts AdobeSerifMM and AdobeSansMM instead. (These ship with the Acrobat
Reader, so everyone has access to them.)

The display engine does the best it can, but with a low-resolution
device (i.e., a monitor), and with fonts that set wide, such as Bookman,
sometimes the glyphs push out so far to the right that you get the
effect you noted. (Remember, PDF files are really intended to be
printed, not displayed. Have you tried printing the pages, preferably on
a PostScript printer that already has Bookman resident?

Try placing the text selection cursor in the word Manula and using the
arrow key to advance it from letter to letter. You should see it jump
from the position between the n and the u to the position between the l
and the a and then back to the position between the u and the l.

This is the correct behavior.

I suspect that if you use the zoom tool to increase the magnification of
the page, the word Manual will appear correctly.

There is also a preferences setting, "Greek text below _ pixels" that
you may want to adjust, although this probably won't affect the
particular problem you are having.

The solution, if you want to solve the problem for users, is to go back
to the original PageMaker files, print them to PostScript files, and
then run the PostScript files through Distiller. When you do this, set
the Distiller Job Options on the Font Embedding tab for "Embed All
Fonts" and "Subset fonts below 99%." This will ensure that the PDF files
have all of the font information included in them to display properly in
all circumstances. The files will be larger but not unmanageable. If you
need to conserve CD real estate, combine several PageMaker documents
into a single book and print them to one PostScript file. When you
distill this file, the required fonts will only be included once in the
resulting PDF.

Hope this helps.

Dick