Re: 22 page manual for $400,000

Subject: Re: 22 page manual for $400,000
From: Bernie McCann <BernieMc -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 18:42:38 EDT

Hello Lin!

<<
Several years ago, I had the opportunity to create several manuals for the
government. I found that before you can write a manual, you have to
document that you can write a manual, that you have processes and standards
in place to edit, create graphics, etc. in support of the manual, and so
on .... writen in a horrible style .... I found the process very frustrating
and grueling. I now understand why the government purchases $900 ashtrays and
other anomolies .... Our tax dollars at work.

Lin

I can understand your frustrations, but have you considered that government
contractors are, themselves, spending our tax dollars. I am talking generally
now, but if there is a year (or more) spent writing proposals and statements
of work, etc. surely this period can not be charged to the government (tax
payer). That's life! It surprises me that, during such a lengthy period, if
everyone around the table is experienced enough to play their own important
parts, these problems will not, normally, appear. Perhaps, awarding contracts
to the lowest bidder, plays a part here - but I don't think that I'll go down
that controversial path at the moment.

As far as "horrible" styles are concerned, I am reminded of the following:
"No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's
draft."
H.G. Wells
"If you are getting the worst of it in an argument with a literary man, always
attack his style. That'll touch him if nothing else will."
J.A. Spender

BernieMc -at- aol -dot- com