Re: Newsletter guides (thanks)

Subject: Re: Newsletter guides (thanks)
From: "Brian, Flaherty" <bflaher -at- INDCON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:22:03 -0400

Here's my two cents about newsletters:

Like all the other advice, I've "been there - done that" with
newsletters. My first tech writing job involved working on a newsletter
for the TRW Customer Service Division in Fairfield (NJ). (It's now
extinct!). We ran a black-and-white 4 to 8-page newsletter called
Feedback. This is how it was organized (you can use this as a guide):

Page 1 (Front Page)
Urgent business news (contract signings, mergers,
assignments/re-assignments of high-level executives, etc.).

Page 2
"Minor" business news (company tech developments, customer testimonials,
etc.)

Page 3
Human interest stories (employees who volunteered, or did exotic things
- such as climbing the Eiger or scuba diving ship wrecks in the
Atlantic, etc.), profiles of "old timers" who retired after 20+ years
with the company, employee profile of the month, employee awards, etc.

Page 4 (Back Page)
We put the "fluff" here: employee anniversaries, births, weddings,
engagements; company announcements for picnics, walk-a-thons, corporate
runs, blood drives, etc.; and related fluff.

In general, pages 1 and 2 is where articles regarding the business or
the "company message" were put. Pages 3-4 (or 4-8 for an 8-page issue)
was were all the more "fluffy" stuff went.

Brian Flaherty