Re: Why are we excluded???

Subject: Re: Why are we excluded???
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:34:38 -0400

Kalpana,

There are probably several reasons. Hiring anyone from abroad is more
complicated from a bureaucratic standpoint. How about relocation expenses?
How about the potential for a foreigner to not like it here? Possibly,
plain old prejudice. Even though it is wrong and often unfounded, it does
exist. Maybe US companies don't realize many Indians have a better command
of English than most high school graduates (although most Indians I've met
have a difficult time getting rid of a very stong accent).

It is understandable why US companies would prefer to hire US citizens, but
when workers are in short suppy, I don't see why they don't look harder at
people from other countries. And, it isn't just Indians. I know of one US
company that was looking for a writer and wouldn't even consider a person
from Canada who was very qualified. Canada and the US are just about as
similar as two countries can be (No offense to those from Canada
intended.). There are greater differences going from one region of the US
to another than from Michigan to Canada.

I would think if you were serious about wanting to work in the US that
there would be a way to get some type of visa so that you could look for
work. I'm not sure how it all works, but there may be a reasonable way to
immigrate. As a citizen, many more doors would be open to you.

Tom Johnson

business johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com